Ricercatore a tempo determinato Legge 240/10 - DAFNE
2018 Master “Dairy Protein Biochemistry” at Wageningen University, organized by Graduate School VLAG in collaboration with Food Quality and Design Group (Wageningen University) and Department of Food Science (Aarhus University), 2 – 3 July 2018.
2011 PhD in Food Biotechnology (XXIII cycle, Tuscia University, Viterbo - Italy) Thesis topic:“Removal of unstable proteins from white wine by immobilized acid protease”
2007 Graduated in Food Science and Technology (110/110 summa cum laude) Tuscia University, Viterbo - Italy
Dissertation topic:“Acid proteases immobilization for application in model wine”
CURRENT AND PREVIOUS POSITIONS
28.06.2019 CoCoCo at Tuscia University - Viterbo (Italy).
Project granted by Lazio Innova.
Project title: “Innovative enzymatic approaches for the sustainable beer clarification”.
2013–2019 Postdoctoral Researcher at Tuscia University - Viterbo (Italy).
Project granted by Ministry of Agricultural Food and Forestry Policies.
Project title: “Enzymatic bioreactors for wine detoxification”.
2011 - 2013 Postdoc at Department for Innovation in Biological, Agro-food and Forest Systems of Tuscia University - Viterbo (Italy).
Project granted by FINDUS (CSI- Compagnia Surgelati Italiana S.p.A.)
Project title: “Innovative stabilization technologies for preserving frozen vegetables quality”
2011 Collaboration contract at Department for Innovation in Biological, Agro-food and Forest Systems of Tuscia University - Viterbo (Italy).
Project title: “Cysteine beta-lyase activity characterization of yeast strains”
2007 - 2008 Student collaboration contract (Co.co.co) at Department for Innovation in Biological, Agro-food and Forest Systems of Tuscia University - Viterbo (Italy).
Project granted by Centro Atena – Finanziaria laziale di sviluppo (Filas), Rome (Italy). Project titled: “Bioreactors and immobilized enzymes for food applications”
From A.Y. 2011-2012 until now
- Lecturer of the Enzymatic technologies for food industry Course (6 CFU) at the master degree in Food Safety and Quality at Tuscia University, Viterbo – Italy.
- Lecturer of the Emerging technologies for food industry Course (6 CFU) at the master degree in Food Safety and Quality at Tuscia University, Viterbo – Italy.
- Lecturer of the Enology II Course (9 CFU) at the bachelor degree in Food Technology and Oenology at Tuscia University, Viterbo – Italy.
- Member of the examination committee, exercitations, seminars and lessons for the above indicated courses at Tuscia University, Viterbo.
• 16 June 2017: II level Master in “Nutraceutical Products: Design, Formulation Development, Control and Marketing” coordinated by Dr. Maria Daglia (Dept. of Drug Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Pavia), Pavia – Italy
• 14 May 2015: II level Master in “Nutraceutical Products: Design, Formulation Development, Control and Marketing” coordinated by Dr. Maria Daglia (Dept. of Drug Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Pavia), Pavia – Italy
• 3 April 2014: II level Master in “Nutraceutical Products: Design, Formulation Development, Control and Marketing” coordinated by Dr. Maria Daglia (Dept. of Drug Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Pavia), Pavia – Italy
From 2010 Supervisor of 24 degree and graduate students and 2 PhD student.
Research topic: Enzymes in agro-food processing
Research description: Characterization and application of free and immobilized enzymes for improving food quality and safety.
• Glycosidases for the expression of wine varietal character;
• Acidic proteases for white wine protein stabilization;
• Plant proteases in cheese making for vegetarian diet;
• Pectinases to enhance fruit juice clarification;
• Lysozyme to control lactic acid bacteria (malolactic fermentation);
• Urease for urea hydrolysis in wine to prevent ethyl carbamate production.
b) Carrier for enzyme immobilization
• glass (amino propyl silica, aldehydic silica);
• epoxyde resins (methacrylate polymer with epoxy groups);
• magnetic supports;
• organic polymers (chitosan beads and membranes).
• packed bed reactor;
• fluidized bed reactor;
• membrane reactor
Research topic: Innovation for the production of quality still wines and sparkling wines
a. Selection of grapes and yeast strains for the production of sparkling wines by the traditional method.
b. Characterization of the aptitude of wine grape varieties and relationship with phenolic composition and aroma precursors.
c. Effect of the processing technology on phenolic compounds in red wines and evolution during ageing.
d. Study of yeast and lactic bacteria metabolisms for the improvement of wine quality and safety:
- monitoring of alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in relation with microbial strains and winemaking technologies applied;
- Influence of MLF timing on the chromatic properties of red wine;
- ß-lyase activity to enhance the varietal aromas of wines;
- arginase activity to prevent ethyl carbamate formation;
- chromatic and olfactory characteristics of white and red wines affected by non- Saccaromyces yeast metabolism in pre-fermentative stages;
e. Elaboration and application of protocols for the industrial production of Sulfite free wines
- yeast strains low SO2 and acetaldehyde producers;
- chemical and sensory aspects of Sulfite free wines.
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS (LAST FIVE YEARS)
1. Benucci, I., Mazzocchi, C., Lombardelli, C., Cacciotti, I., Esti, M. (2019). Multi-enzymatic systems immobilized on chitosan beads for pomegranate juice treatment in fluidized bed reactor: effect on haze-active molecules and chromatic properties. Food and Bioprocess Technology, In Press, ISSN: 19355130, DOI: 10.1007/s11947-019-02315-w (2018IF: 3.032)
2. Benucci I., Cerreti M., Maresca D., Mauriello G., Esti M. (2019). Yeast cells in double layer calcium alginate–chitosan microcapsules for sparkling wine production. Food Chemistry, 300, 125174, ISSN: 03088146, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.125174 (2018IF: 5.399)
3. Cacciotti I., Lombardelli C., Benucci I., Esti M. (2019). Clay/chitosan biocomposite systems as novelgreen carriers for covalent immobilization of food enzymes. Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 8, 3644-3652, ISSN: 22387854, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmrt.2019.06.002 (2018IF: 3.327)
4. Liburdi K., Benucci I., Esti M. (2019). Effect of microwave power and blanching time in relation to different geometric shapes of vegetables. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 99, 497-504, ISSN: 00236438, DOI: 10.1016/j.lwt.2018.10.029 (2018IF: 3.714)
5. Benucci I., Cerreti M., Liburdi K., Nardi T., Vagnoli P., Ortiz-Julien A., Esti M. (2018). Pre-fermentative cold maceration in presence of non-Saccharomyces strains: Evolution of chromatic characteristics of Sangiovese red wine elaborated by sequential inoculation. Food Research International, 107, 257-266, ISSN: 09639969, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodres.2018.02.029 (2017IF: 3.52)
6. Benucci I., Luziatelli F., Cerreti M., Liburdi K., Nardi T., Vagnoli P., Ruzzi M., Esti M. (2018). Pre-fermentative cold maceration in the presence of non-Saccharomyces strains: effect on fermentation behaviour and volatile composition of a red wine. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research, 24, 267-274, ISSN: 13227130, DOI: 10.1111/ajgw.12326 (2017IF: 1.913)
7. Liburdi K., Emiliani Spinelli S., Benucci I., Lombardelli C., Esti M. (2018). A preliminary study of continuous milk coagulation using Cynara cardunculus flower extract and calf rennet immobilized on magnetic particles. Food Chemistry, 239, 157-164, ISSN: 03088146, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.06.093 (2017IF: 4.946)
8. Benucci I., Liburdi K., Cacciotti I., Lombardelli C., Zappino M., Nanni F., Esti M. (2018). Chitosan/clay nanocomposite films as supports for enzyme immobilization: An innovative green approach for winemaking applications. Food Hydrocolloids, 74, 124-131, ISSN: 0268005X, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2017.08.005 (2017IF: 5.089)
9. Benucci I., Río Segade S., Cerreti M., Giacosa S., Paissoni M.A., Liburdi K., Bautista-Ortín A.B., Gómez-Plaza E., Gerbi V., Esti M., Rolle L. (2017). Application of enzyme preparations for extraction of berry skin phenolics in withered winegrapes. Food Chemistry, 237, 756-765, ISSN: 03088146, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.06.003 (2017IF: 4.946)
10. Benucci I., Fiorelli V., Lombardelli C., Liburdi K., Esti M. (2017). Kinetic characterization of arginase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae during alcoholic fermentation at different temperatures. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 82, 268-273, ISSN: 00236438, DOI: 10.1016/j.lwt.2017.04.044 (2017IF: 3.129)
11. Cerreti M., Liburdi K., Benucci I., Emiliani Spinelli S., Lombardelli C., Esti M. (2017). Optimization of pectinase and protease clarification treatment of pomegranate juice. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 82, 58-65, ISSN: 00236438, DOI: 10.1016/j.lwt.2017.04.022 (2017IF: 3.129)
12. Liburdi K., Benucci I., Lombardelli C., Esti M. (2017). Identification and Characterization of Lipoxygenase in Fresh Culinary Herbs. International Journal of Food Properties, 20 (7), 1470-1478, ISSN: 10942912, doi: 10.1080/10942912.2016.1211678 (2017IF: 1.845)
13. Cerreti M., Ferranti P., Benucci I., Liburdi K., de Simone C., Esti M. (2017). Thiol precursors in Grechetto grape juice and aromatic expression in wine. European Food Research and Technology, 243 (5), 753-760, ISSN: 14382377, doi: 10.1007/s00217-016-2789-7 (2017IF: 1.919)
14. Memoli A., Albanese D., Esti M., Lombardelli C., Crescitelli A., Di Matteo M., Benucci I. (2017). Effect of bug damage and mold contamination on fatty acids and sterols of hazelnut oil. European Food Research and Technology, 243 (4), 651-658, ISSN: 14382377, doi: 10.1007/s00217-016-2778-x (2017IF: 1.919)
15. Bavaro T., Cattaneo G., Serra I., Benucci I., Pregnolato M., Terreni M. (2016). Immobilization of neutral protease from Bacillus subtilis for regioselective hydrolysis of acetylated nucleosides: Application to capecitabine synthesis. Molecules 21 (12), Article number 21121621, ISSN: 14203049, doi: 10.3390/molecules21121621 (2016IF: 2.861)
16. Benucci I., Lombardelli C., Cacciotti I., Liburdi K., Nanni F., Esti M. (2016). Chitosan beads from microbial and animal sources as enzyme supports for wine application. Food Hydrocolloids, 61, 191-200, ISSN: 0268005X, doi: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2016.05.016 (2016IF: 4.747)
17. Cerreti M., Liburdi K., Benucci I., Esti M. (2016). The effect of pectinase and protease treatment on turbidity and on haze active molecules in pomegranate juice. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 73, 326-333, ISSN: 00236438, doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2016.06.030 (2016IF: 2.329)
18. Benucci I., Cappannella E., Liburdi K., Esti M. (2016). Inhibitory effect of ethanol, sulphur dioxide and proanthocyanidinic tannins on lysozyme antimicrobial activity in model wine. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 73, 320-325, ISSN: 00236438, doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2016.06.035 (2016IF: 2.329)
19. Cappannella E., Benucci I., Lombardelli C., Liburdi K., Bavaro T., Esti M. (2016). Immobilized lysozyme for the continuous lysis of lactic bacteria in wine: Bench-scale fluidized-bed reactor study. Food Chemistry, 210, 49-55, ISSN: 03088146, doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.04.089 (2016IF: 4.529)
20. Benucci I., Liburdi K., Cerreti M., Esti M. (2016). Characterization of Active Dry Wine Yeast During Starter Culture (Pied de Cuve) Preparation for Sparkling Wine Production. Journal of Food Science, 81, M2015-M2020, ISSN: 00221147, doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.13379 (2016IF: 1.815)
21. Cerreti M., Fidaleo M., Benucci I., Liburdi K., Tamborra P., Moresi M. (2016). Assessing the Potential Content of Ethyl Carbamate in White, Red, and Rosé Wines as a Key Factor for Pursuing Urea Degradation by Purified Acid Urease . Journal of Food Science, 81, C1603-C1612, ISSN: 00221147, doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.13344 (2016IF: 1.815)
22. Liburdi K., Benucci I., Palumbo F., Esti M. (2016). Lysozyme immobilized on chitosan beads: Kinetic characterization and antimicrobial activity in white wines. Food Control, 63, 46 -52, ISSN: 09567135, doi: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.11.015 (2016IF: 3.496)
23. Benucci I., Lombardelli C., Liburdi K., Acciaro G., Zappino M., Esti M. (2016). Immobilised native plant cysteine proteases: packed-bed reactor for white wine protein stabilisation. Journal of Food Science and Technology-Mysore, 53, 1130-1139, ISSN: 00221155, doi: 10.1007/s13197-015-2125-4 (2016IF: 1.262)
24. Zappino M., Cacciotti I., Benucci I., Nanni F., Liburdi K., Valentini F., Esti M. (2015). Bromelain immobilization on microbial and animal source chitosan films, plasticized with glycerol, for application in wine-like medium: Microstructural, mechanical and catalytic characterisations. Food Hydrocolloids, 45, 41-47, ISSN: 0268005X, doi: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2014.11.001 (2015IF: 3.858)
25. Benucci I., Esti M., Liburdi K. (2015). Effect of wine inhibitors on the proteolytic activity of papain from Carica papaya L. latex. Biotechnology Progress, 31, 48-54, ISSN: 87567938, doi: 10.1002/btpr.2015 (2015IF: 2.167)
26. Esti M., Benucci I., Liburdi K., Garzillo A.M.V. (2015). Immobilized pineapple stem bromelain activity in a wine-like medium: Effect of inhibitors. Food and Bioproducts Processing, 93, 84-89, ISSN: 09603085, doi: 10.1016/j.fbp.2013.12.001 (2015IF: 2.687)
27. Cerreti M., Esti M., Benucci I., Liburdi K., de Simone C., Ferranti P. (2015). Evolution of S-cysteinylated and S-glutathionylated thiol precursors during grape ripening of Vitis vinifera L. cvs Grechetto, Malvasia del Lazio and Sauvignon Blanc. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research, 21, 411-416, ISSN: 13227130, doi: 10.1111/ajgw.12152 (2015IF: 2.126)
Publication N°: (11) EP 2 692 245 A2
30/07/2012 GB 2012 13515
Title: “Food product preparation method”
Inventors: Cammaroto Antonio, Di Principe Antonio, Rotunno Carlo, Esti Marco, Liburdi Katia, Benucci Ilaria
1. Benucci I. Innovative microencapsulated yeasts for the production of sparkling wine by traditional method. Enoforum 2019, Vicenza, Italy, 21 - 23 May 2019
2. Benucci I. Prolyl endopeptidase from Aspergillus niger immobilized on food-grade carriers for the production of gluten-free beer. FONGAR-2018 - International Conference on Food, Nutrition and Dietetics, Gastronomy Research, Alanya / Turkey, 28 – 30th November, 2018
3. Benucci I. Innovative and sustainable biotechnology for food processing. Infoday “Agroindustrial Engineering: from research to application”. University of Rome Niccolò Cusano, INSTM RU, Rome, Italy, 9th February 2018
4. Benucci I. Immobilized enzymes in continuous bioreactors: a sustainable and green approach for food processing. Italian Forum on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioeconomy - IFIB 2017, Rome, Italy, 5 - 6 October 2017
5. Benucci I. Lysozyme immobilized on Aspergillus niger chitosan: application in fluidized-bed reactor. Enoforum 2017, Vicenza, Italy, 16 - 18 May 2017
6. Benucci I. Innovative production processes for a sustainable and socially fair development of the agri-food system. Sustainable agri-food system for EXPO 2015, Auditorium Ara Pacis, Rome, Italy, 6th July 2015
7. Benucci I. Enzymes for beverages clarification. Workshop on Innovation in beverage industries: towards more sustainable enzymatic processes. Brussels, Belgium, 10th December 2014
8. Benucci I. Immobilized native plant cysteine proteases: packed-bed reactor for white wine stabilization. Italian Forum on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioeconomy - IFIB 2013, Naples, Italy, 22 - 23 October 2013
9. Benucci I. Removal of unstable proteins from white wine by immobilized acid protease. In: Proceedings del 15° Workshop on the Developments in the Italian PhD Research on Food Science Technology and Biotechnology. Portici(NA), Italy, 15-17 September, 2010.
EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBERSHIP
Member of the Editorial Board of Beverages (ISSN 2306-5710; CODEN: BEVEBN), an Open Access Journal on beverage research and development, published online by MDPI.
Guest Editor for the Special Issue "Development of Immobilized Enzymes for Food Applications" of Foods (ISSN 2304-8158).
At Kaunas University of Technology (Lithuania) from 01/03/2019 to 20/06/2019
Best Poster award conferred to the poster titled: “ Prevention of haze formation in pomegranate juice by continuous multi-enzymatic treatment”, 18th International Conference Life Sciences for Sustainable Development (26-28 September 2019, Cluj-Napoca, Romania)
Plant Biotechnology for Food and Global Health119929 - Food biotechnology (Primo semestre)
Tecnologie per la gestione sostenibile dei sistemi zootecnici119378 - Tecnologie di trasformazione e conservazione dei prodotti di origine animale (Secondo semestre)
119379 - Laboratorio di Tecnologie di trasformazione e conservazione dei prodotti di origine animale (Secondo semestre)